Friday, October 18, 2013

October 2013


           
Twenty years.  That’s what has passed by since I “grew up” so to speak.  I gained independence.  I gained knowledge.  I learned important life lessons.  This is some of what I figured out during the summer of 1993.  I dedicate these next posts to my cousin, Corrie.

I learned how to make a tough decision.  You see, I was given the opportunity to spend the summer in Atlanta.  The only catch was that in order to go I would have to quit baseball mid-season.  This being the sport I had played all my life.  The sport I had excelled at.  The sport I loved.  It would also mean not spending the summer with my friends.  But the decision was mine to make.  So, off the Atlanta I went to stay with my aunt, uncle, and cousins.  The possibilities of what could happen in Georgia outweighed the historical knowledge of what would happen in Bolivar.

 One of the first things I learned was that cable TV was awesome.  At home we still had the standard 3, 5, 7, 13 and sometimes 24 if you held your foot just right.  But, we were missing out on so much.  Up until then I had only heard my friends talking about ESPN.  Now I got to see it.  I could watch Fraggle Rock in the mornings and MTV.  Music Television.  Back when there was actual music on that channel.  Music videos by the Spin Doctors, U2, PM Dawn, and Guns & Roses.  I’ve still never heard “November Rain” when I haven’t thought about sitting in the living room in Georgia, eating cereal, and being absolutely mesmerized by Slash.  That summer helped mold my love for all music genres.  All thanks to Corrie and cable TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment