Friday, March 15, 2013

Early February 2013



A few minutes to address a topic I’ve been pondering for a while now.  How is it that Saturday Night Live has gotten so unfunny?  And why do I still watch in hopes of getting some miniscule amount of laughter & joy?  It used to be sooo good.  I couldn’t wait to watch it every week.  I don’t know if it’s the actors they currently have, or the team of writers. But it is sub-par at best, from top to bottom.  Some of the skits are so bad that I almost wish I knew which ones didn’t make the cut.  Just terrible.  Definitely past its prime.  I think I’m sad now.

Ahhhh, the Grammys!  I love the sound of music!  Not the movie  song with which my mother used to rouse the Cole boys from their slumber, even in the summer time when there was no good reason to be awake by 8:00 a.m.  I can hear her singing it now.  But, I digress.  I love the new music.  Mumford & Sons, FUN, The Lumineers, Alabama Shakes (which by the way I did not know Madea was their lead singer).  I just love the direction music is going right now.  And on a non-Grammy side note, I have recently caught a few up & coming acts on late night talk shows that I will give a shout out for.  I caught Von Grey Sisters & they sound amazing.  Folksy, smooth, harmony.  Also check out Dirty Projectors, I think Will Calvert might enjoy them (he probably already does).  They have a very distinct sound, from vocals to beat to accompaniment it works.  And although they are probably already household names, I’ll still mention them because I just found out about them, Tegan and Sara.  Twin sisters who have just gone mainstream, but still have the Indie feel.  Enjoy.  

So, we were sitting here watching our afternoon Jeopardy, just like always.  Racing to see who can blurt out the answer the fastest, if we knew the answer.  Well on this particular day we were on fire.  I mean it was like somebody, at least, had a clue what the correct answer might be.  We weren’t getting every question, but more than usual.  Then it happened, coming back from one of the last commercial breaks we noticed the graphic looked different.  It was teen tournament week.  The questions designed to be slightly lower-level I suppose.  I guess my attention to detail needs to improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment