Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Early January 2013



I was once in a hush-puppy eating contest at Catfish Cabin with 2 other guys and I won.  I have always loved the slaw and hush-puppy appetizer (or side) at Catfish Cabin.  And one night I bragged to my buddies, Joelseph & MacDiesel, that I could eat 100… easy!  I mean, they’re small, I’m big, it would work, let’s do this.  Well after a few weeks of trash talk & some more input from others, it was time to stop the talk and start the walk.  It was decided that it needed to be a timed event rather than a numbered goal.  And somewhere along the way I picked up some competitors, Shea & Will.  Someone had called ahead & Catfish Cabin was on board.  They were happy to have us & would accommodate in any way.  It was, I believe, a birthday gathering for someone & there were probably 25 – 30 of us in our group that night.  We were placed in the big room to the right as you go in and they had set us up at the “head table” in front of everyone else.  They provided us with drinks & slaw & any condiment we wanted or thought we might need.  I think we were planning on eating for an hour.  It didn’t take that long for us to pop.  I think we stopped after 30 minutes; it may have even been at 20.  But the pace had slowed after 10 minutes.  Turns out the putting 57 lbs of bread & grease in your stomach doesn’t take an hour after all...  I know it wasn’t that much but it felt like more than that.  I think we all ended up in the high 40 s when we finally stopped.  And you can probably guess where we ended after that. I didn’t even get close to that 100 mark I was shooting for, not even halfway, which is about as close to that window Joelseph would get to if he jumped off that tin roof.   Another story for another day.  I have not had a hush-puppy since that night though.  I could probably eat one now if I had it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment